Plan, Promote, Organize and Implement Programs for Construction,
Development, Operation, Repairs and Maintenance of National Highways/ Motorways
and Strategic Roads.
Powers & Duties of NHA
* Advise the Federal Government on matters relating to National
Highways and Strategic Roads.
* Frame a scheme or schemes for matters such as Construction,
Expansion, Operation and Development of National Highways and Strategic Roads
and undertake work/incur expenditure on such scheme(s).
* Acquire any Land in accordance with legal procedure and obtain
and dispose of movable and immovable property of interests therein.
* Research and Development in the field of Highways.
* Procure Plant, Machinery, Instruments and Materials required for
* Enter into and perform all such contracts as it may consider
* Levy, Collect or cause to be collected Tolls on National
Highways, Strategic Roads and such other roads as may be entrusted to it and
* License facilities on roads under its control on such terms as
it deems fit.
* Determine a building line between which and the ROW it shall not
be lawful without the consent of the Authority to construct or maintain any
structure or make any excavation.
* Cause Studies, Surveys, Experiments and Technical Researches to be
made or contribute towards the cost of such studies, surveys, experiments or
technical researches made by any other agency.